The beginning of July usually means one thing at Heyland & Whittle HQ and that’s the RHS Hampton Court Flower Show. Alas, this year there is no buzz of preparations; no boxes of Soaps, Reed Diffusers and Candles being loaded into the van; and Ursula isn’t baking her customary cake.
Instead, we will be spending the week from July 6th to 12th channelling the spirit of Hampton Court and making the most of an unprecedented time in history. Anyone who has visited the show will know that there’s simply one thing you can’t attend without and that’s a picnic.
Over the years we have seen our lovely customers pulling all manner of impressive spreads out of their baskets. From gingham tablecloths and homemade treats to bottles of bubbly and expertly-iced biscuits, it’s safe to say that Hampton Court welcomes world-class picnics.
National Picnic Month
Conveniently, the Hampton Court show falls within National Picnic Month and while we won’t all be gathering in Richmond upon Thames, we can still welcome small groups of friends into our gardens. That means rolling out the picnic rug and enjoying this great summer tradition.
For a perfect garden picnic, follow these important steps:
- Think about where everyone is going to sit. Garden furniture will be required for anybody who won’t want to sit on a rug and in 2020, social distancing is a very real consideration when hosting any event.
- Provide shade. If the weather is as warm as we’d all like it to be, then it’s worth adding some extra shade with parasols or an awning to offer guests respite from the heat.
- Organise offerings. Just because you’re hosting the picnic does not mean you have to provide all of the food. Make use of your friends’ culinary skills but make a note of what everyone is bringing so there’s a good balance of sweet and savoury dishes.
- Enhance your space. Style your garden as a party venue with throw cushions, bunting and Kitchen Garden Candles, which will provide ambience through light and scent.
- Don’t run out of drinks. Whether you’re having a boozy picnic or a refined afternoon tea, make sure everyone is kept well hydrated.
Make your picnic all the more special by winning a Hamper from Heyland & Whittle. Packed full of goodies to enhance the look and feel of your home and garden, it’s guaranteed to bring your picnic up to Hampton Court standards.
The Rose Garden at Hampton Court Palace
Hampton Court Palace’s Rose Garden is the jewel in its crown, having been nurtured by expert gardeners for more than 80 years. The varieties planted at Hampton Court have been chosen particularly for the fragrance, colour and ability to attract wildlife.
Anyone who grows roses themselves will know that summer is when they’re in full bloom, putting on an incredible display of pinks, reds, yellows, whites and peaches. Rosa Gertrude Jekyll, Rosa Darcy Bussell and Rosa A Shropshire Lad are among the highlights of the palace’s prized collection.
Your garden picnic could be the perfect opportunity to show off your roses in the spirit of Hampton Court. Emphasise their beauty with napkins and decorations in the same colour palette as your roses to give the whole event a harmonised feel.
Continue the theme after a long day entertaining in your garden with a soak in the bath featuring our Neroli & Rose Bath Melt. The shea and cocoa butters will nourish your skin, while the scent of rose will calm your mind. Complement it with our Rose Soap Bar and you’ll feel transported to the Rose Garden at Hampton Court effortlessly.